Donald Persson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jeff Sherels (email@example.com)
4th Thursday of each month
- Develop and maintain an effective legislative program for the Palm Beach County CTA.
- Plan specific activities and develop a calendar that will enhance CTA’s legislative program.
- Report to the President, Board of Directors, and the Representative Assembly (monthly).
- Present local and state legislative programs to the Board of Directors and Representative Assembly by January, if possible.
- Encourage all eligible teachers to vote.
- Carry out any activities as directed by the President and Board of Directors.
- Utilize Lead Representatives as legislative contacts at school sites to facilitate the dispersal of information to educate, inform, and engage members in the political process.
- Lobby legislators and other public officials at home and report to the President. (Below are guidelines for selecting a Lobbying Team)
- Help coordinate (with the Communications Committee) American Education Week activities.
- Develop lobbying coordination and political alliances.
- Monitor and attempt to influence educational development through legislation.- Provide legislative lobbyist training to all members prior to lobbying in Tallahassee.- All visitors/speakers must be brought to the attention of the President before their appearances.
Guidelines for Selecting a Lobbying Team
- Member of CTA for at least 3 years.
- Member of CTA Government Relations Committee for at least 1 year.
- Must have attended legislative training sessions (local/state/national) and attended local Government Relations Committee meetings in current school year.
- A first and/or second time lobbyist will be paired with an experienced lobbyist.
- All lobbyists must know the legislative program/issues of CTA and FEA.
- All lobbyists returning from Tallahassee must report, in writing, the outcome to the Government Relations Committee.
- All lobbyists must be familiar with legislators through local lobbying efforts first.
- Lobbyists must visit/call/write legislators and report, in writing, the outcome to the Government Relations Committee.
- Legislators will have a team of three assigned Government Relations Committee members.