Tony Hernandez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2nd Wednesday of each month – 5:00 PM – (Always call/email CTA to confirm dates, as they are subject to change!)
- Develop programs and activities that will enhance awareness of human and civil rights.
- Provide assistance to CTA members in catastrophic situations, through the Sick Leave Bank.
- Monitor teachers’ human and civil rights.
- Encourage involvement of minorities in programs of the local, state, and national associations.
- Monitor conditions of minority teachers and students.
- Collaborate with the Government Relations Committee to encourage voter registration of CTA members and the community.
- Solicit volunteers to participate in local charitable, philanthropic, and health campaigns (i.e. American Heart Walk, March of Dimes, etc.). These could be jointly coordinated with the Communications Committee.
- Provide training to educate members of their rights under the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Florida Commission on Human Relations (FCHR), and FEA Legal Services.
- Establish a criteria and identify potential nominees for awards such as Martin Luther King Jr. Award, local, state, and national Human and Civil Rights (HCR) awards, and other appropriate awards ,as determined by the committee with approval of the CTA Board of Directors.
- Collaborate with the Communications Committee to inform members of activities, events, and awards that are available.
- Provide training offered by FEA/NEA/AFT.
- Monitor the hiring policies and dismissal procedures of minority teachers.
- Recruit membership throughout the year.
- Participate in the community Martin Luther King Jr. activities conducted during the month of January.
- Participate in minority leadership trainings and conferences.